Filming Permit In Nepal – Your ultimate guide for Filming in Nepal.
How to apply for a film permit in Nepal?
Applying for a Film Permit in Nepal is simpler and easier. As a tourism-based country, the government of Nepal supports international film professionals visiting Nepal. The nation has directed its focus to promote itself as the ultimate filming destination in the world as well as to promote its tourism industry. Nepal comprises all the resources that a filmmaker needs. Nepal proudly claims itself rich in culture, tradition, and natural scenic beauty. The very saying, “Nepal Provides” is one of the examples foreign filmmakers can find while filming here. For this, the Nepal government grants permission to film almost everywhere in the country with a simple one time National Filming Permit.
With the help of the local producer/ Fixer, you can apply for the film permit. The fixer takes care of the process and provides application services. You need to get documents prepared and sent to the local co-ordinator in advance for easy entry to Nepal with equipment and also for visa application. Nepal provides visa on arrival to filmmakers coming for filming in Nepal but need custom clearance for the equipment.
It takes 2-7 working days for the overall application process and to obtain the filming permit. You can get updates from the fixer regarding the process and follow up on it. The local coordinator provides necessary documents as a sample for easy preparation of the documents.
What documents do you need to prepare to apply for the permit?
- Synopsis: This should include brief details on the overall production concept.
- Assignment Letter: This letter should address the fixer/local producer to be appointed as the local coordinator for the services provided.
- Passport Scan: The scan copy of passports of all the foreign crew traveling for filming in Nepal.
- Itinerary: Brief Schedule of production with details starting from the arrival date to the date of departure.
- Equipment List: List of equipment to be brought in with serial numbers, weight, and price.
- Travel Itinerary: Travel details for arrival and departure.
- Film Permit Application form: Signed and Stamped.
- Agreement Contract: A contract between both parties duly signed.
Which part of the government body grants filming permits in Nepal?
Filming Permit is granted by the Ministry of Communication and Information Technology. The ministry grants permission after agreeing to follow the set of rules provided. The mandatory documents are to be presented at the time of application for the permit. It requires a local coordinator/fixer to apply on behalf of the foreign film crew.
The updated rule of the government of Nepal / The Ministry of communication and Technology charges a minimum fee for the application process and is payable at the time of application. For more details and updated information, Make An Inquiry.
What is Foreign Movies Development Permission?
Filming permits in Nepal vary depending upon the sensitivity of the location of filming. The Foreign Movies Development Permission(National Film Permit) includes additional permits as per the requirement of the applicant. Filming in Nepal without permission is considered a legal offense. Acquiring the permit safeguards the footage and provides easy access to locations.
Here are the details: Foreign Movies Development Permission
- Heritage area permit.
- National Park and Conservation Area Filming Permit
- Drone and Aerial Imaging Permit
- Liaison Officer
- Custom Clearance